A restrictive practice is any practice or intervention that has the effect of restricting the rights or freedom of movement of a person with a disability.
A restrictive practice is a regulated restrictive practice if it is, or it involves, seclusion, chemical restraint, mechanical restraint, physical restraint or environmental restraint.
The use of regulated restrictive practices by disability service providers must be included in a behaviour support plan and reported to the Victorian Senior Practitioner.
The use of regulated restrictive practices by registered NDIS providers must be included in an NDIS behaviour support plan prepared by an NDIS behaviour support practitioner and reported to the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission.
The Victorian Senior Practitioner uses the Behavior Support Plan Quality Evaluation tool II (BSP-QE II) to measure the quality of behaviour support plans.
We know from research that high quality support plans result in the reduction of restrictive practices (see Webber, Richardson, Lambrick & Fester, 2012).
- Behaviour support plan toolkit (Word) - January 2021
- Behaviour support plan toolkit (PDF) - January 2021
- Regulated restrictive practices authorisation check list (Word) – October 2020
- Senior Practitioner Report 2018-2019 (PDF) - September 2020
- Senior Practitioner Report 2018-2019 - Plain English (PDF) – September 2020
- Quick reference guide to common questions about restrictive practices - RP Physical (Word) – June 2020
- Quick reference guide to common questions about restrictive practices - RP Mechanical (Word) – June 2020
- Quick reference guide to common questions about restrictive practices - Seclusion (Word) – June 2020
- Research on a page antipsychotic medications (Word) – June 2020
- Why is that locked? (Word) – June 2020
- Use of menstrual suppression - Report (PDF) – February 2020
- Information for Authorised Program Officers appointed by registered NDIS providers (Word) – October 2019
- Information for Authorised Program Officers appointed by disability service providers (Word) – October 2019
- Medications and the restrictive intervention database system (Word)
- Recognising and reducing mechanical restraint practice guide (Word)
- Physical Restraint Direction Paper and Guidelines (Word)
- Avoiding and responding to sexualised behaviours of concern in young people with intellectual disability and autism spectrum disorder (Word)
- Positive practice framework (Word)
- Using restrictive practices in Victoria for NDIS providers (Word)
- Experiences of restrictive practices (PDF)
- Experiences of restrictive practices - easy read (PDF)
Resources on our Providers website