Make a payment to the department

The department may charge a fee for some of the services it provides.

If you have used a service that has a fee, you will receive an invoice from the department. There are a number of ways to pay this invoice.

Fees charges and penalties subject to automatic indexation information

For information about the operation and payment of specific fees, please contact the department. 

Pay online

Go to the secure online payments area to pay by Visa or Mastercard.

Please note: The online payments link will take you to the Westpac Payway online payment service where you will need your reference number to proceed with the payment.


Contact your bank, credit union or building society to make payments from your cheque or savings account. The Biller Code and Reference Number are required when making payment using BPAY.

In person

Please present your invoice and payment at your local Department of Families, Fairness and Housing office during business hours. Payments by cheque or cash only.

By mail

Make your cheque or money order payable to Department of Families, Fairness and Housing. Please detach the payment slip from the invoice and mail it together with your payment to the address specified on the invoice.

By phone

To pay by Mastercard or Visa through the Westpac Payway phone payment service, call 1300 885 175 and follow the voice prompts. You will need your reference number (found under the credit card payment option on your invoice). Biller code is also required when making a credit card payment.