Contact us

Information about how to contact the department.
Department contact details and office locations, reporting child abuse and neglect, and making a complaint.

General enquiries

For all general enquiries to the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing phone: 

  • 1300 475 170 (local calls free within Victoria, except mobile phones)
  • (+613) 8601 5222 when calling from interstate or overseas.

Mobile phones are charged at standard mobile call rates.

Postal address

GPO Box 1774
Melbourne VIC 3001

Child protection enquiries and contacts

If you suspect a child is in need of protection from significant harm, you should make a report to Child Protection.

Child Protection business hours: 8.45am - 5.00pm (Monday - Friday)

During business hours, ring the number covering the local government area (LGA) where the child lives.

North Division Intake - 1300 664 977

North Division has one child protection intake located at DHHS Preston covering the following areas and LGAs:

Banyule, Buloke, Darebin, Campaspe, Central Goldfield, Gannawarra, Greater Bendigo, Hume, Loddon, Macedon Ranges, Mildura, Moreland, Mount Alexander, Nillumbik, Swan Hill, Whittlesea, Yarra.

International callers can ring North Division Intake on 61394790101

South Division Intake - 1300 655 795

South Division has one child protection intake located at DHHS Dandenong, and covers the following areas and LGAs:

Bass Coast, Baw Baw, Bayside, Cardinia, Casey, East Gippsland, Frankston, Glen Eira, Greater Dandenong, Kingston, Latrobe, Mornington Peninsula, Port Phillip, South Gippsland, Stonnington, Wellington.

International callers can ring South Division Intake on 61387655444

East Division Intake - 1300 360 391

East Division has one child protection intake located at DHHS Box Hill covering the following areas and LGAs:

Alpine, Benalla, Boroondara, Greater Shepparton, Indigo, Knox, Manningham, Mansfield, Maroondah, Mitchell, Moira, Monash, Murrindindi, Strathbogie, Towong, Wangaratta, Whitehorse, Wodonga, Yarra Ranges.

International callers can ring East Division Intake on 61398436000

West Division Intake - Rural and regional only - 1800 075 599

West Division has one child protection intake located at DHHS Geelong covering the following rural and regional areas and LGAs:

Ararat, Ballarat, Colac-Otway, Corangamite, Glenelg, Golden Plains, Greater Geelong, Hepburn, Hindmarsh, Horsham, Moorabool, Moyne, Northern Grampians, Pyrenees, Queenscliffe, Southern Grampians, Surf Coast, Warrnambool West Wimmera, Yarriambiack.

West Division Intake - metropolitan only - 1300 664 977

West Division Metro area reports are managed by North Division Intake located at DHHS Preston for the following areas and LGAs:

Brimbank, Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Melbourne, Melton, Moonee Valley, Wyndham.

International callers can ring West Division Intake on 61352264540

After hours Child Protection Emergency Service - 13 12 78  (5.00pm - 9.00am Monday - Friday, 24 hours on weekends and public holidays)

This is a state-wide after hours emergency service that receives new reports, as well as concerns for existing child protection clients who are considered to be at immediate risk and require urgent after hours service.

Interstate websites and contact numbers

Australian Capital Territory (ACT) - 1300 556 729
New South Wales (NSW) - 13 21 11
Northern Territory (NT) - 1800 700 250
Queensland (QLD) - (07) 3235 9999
South Australia (SA) - 13 14 78
Tasmania (TAS) - 1300 737 639
Western Australia (WA) - (08) 9325 1111

Read more about child protection and reporting child abuse on the Services website. Read about mandatory reporting on the Providers website. 

Housing enquiries and offices

Housing call centre

Lift services emergency reporting (24hr service) 1800 066 088 

Housing Offices

Disability services contacts

For disability services and supports contact the National Disability Insurance Scheme on 1800 800 110 or email

For other disability related matters - statewide - call 1800 783 783

If you are deaf or hearing impaired, contact us through the National Relay Service.

TTY Users, phone 13 36 77 and ask for 1300 475 170

Alternatively email enquiries to

Other services
  • Concessions Help Line 1800 658 521 (free call)
  • Library (State Government) 1800 742 733
  • Carer Card hotline 1800 901 958 (during business hours)
  • Victorian Emergency Recovery Information line 1300 769 926
  • Public Interest Disclosures (formerly Protected Disclosures or Whistleblowers) 1300 131 431
Media enquiries

If you work for a media organisation and need to contact the department, please call Department of Families, Fairness and Housing media on 1300 151 882.

Making a complaint

The department is committed to listening to you and responding to your concerns.

If you are dissatisfied with any service provided, contracted, funded or regulated by us, the making a complaint page has information on what you can do and how we will respond to your concerns.