The Disability and Social Services Regulation Amendment Act 2023 became law in Victoria on 23 May 2023.
Amendments across several Acts will improve safeguards and protections for Victorians with disability.
Disability Act 2006
- strengthen and address gaps in safeguarding provisions, including:
- restrictive practices and compulsory treatment,
- residential rights, and
- information sharing.
- removes unintended regulatory burdens and operational difficulties.
Residential Tenancies Act 1997
- ensure residential rights protections for people living in Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA)
Disability Service Safeguards Act 2018
- support efficient disability worker screening. This will reduce duplicative requirements for criminal history checks.
Social Services Regulation Act 2021
- ensure the scheme operates as intended.
For more information on the Disability and Social Services Regulation Amendment Act 2023 and what amendments have been made, visit the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing webpage.