The Department of Families, Fairness and Housing today celebrated the community contributions and volunteer work of older Victorians with the announcement of the 2022 Victorian Senior of the Year Awards at Government House.
Seventeen older Victorians were recognised in the 2022 awards for their leadership, dedication and hands-on support for their local communities. The ceremony was also an opportunity to recognise 2021 awardees, including many who were nominated for stepping up to support their community during the COVID-19 pandemic and continuing their long-standing volunteer roles.
The Victorian Senior of the Year Awards are presented annually as part of the Victorian Seniors Festival. This year’s awardees include:
- Premier’s Award for Victorian Senior of the Year - Moira Waye from Pyalong
- Promotion of Multiculturalism Award - Marie Pietersz from Camberwell
- Healthy and Active Living Award - Diana Collier from North Bendigo
- Ageing Well Award - Fr Bob Maguire from Albert Park
- COTA (Council on the Ageing) Victoria Senior Achiever Awards
- Walter (Ross) Synot from Newtown
- Mick Simpson from Kyabram
- Beth Benhow from North Bendigo
- Melba Waugh from Hoppers Crossing
- Jagdish Chander from Tarneit
- Heather Flemming from Willaura
- Les Chitts from Melton
- Helen Gordon from Mornington
- Marlene (Dawn) Austin from Kaniva
- Santhana Ledchumy Selvendra from Taylors Lakes
- Nazzarino (Rino) Minniti from Epping
- Anne Schmidli from Boole Poole
- Aunty Daphne Milward from Ringwood East
Congratulations to all awardees.
Find out more about all 2022 Victorian Senior of the Year Awards recipients via the Awards page on the Seniors Online website.